Thursday, January 5, 2017

1642 Mohawk Indians Torture a French Jesuit Catholic Priest

1642 Mohawk Indians Torture a French Jesuit Catholic Priest



   A party of about 70 Mohawks set out in July on a foray, and from both sides of the St. Lawrence attack a party of Huron Indians accompanied by French priests from Canada, among them Father Isaac Jogues, who were going in twelve canoes to their country near the big lake (Huron) and the Mohawks take 22 of them prisoners. The occurrences, of a most horrible nature, transpiring then, and the tortures to which they were subjected on their travel to the Mohawk river, when Father Jogues was beaten senseless for displaying sympathy for a prisoner being tortured, (as described in a letter written at Rensselaerswyck, on Aug. 5, 1643, by Father Jogues himself) being as follows: "Scarcely had I begun to breathe, when some others, attacking me, tore out, by biting, almost all my fingernails, and crunched my two forefingers with their teeth, giving me intense pain.  No trial, however, came harder upon me than to see them, five or six days afterward, approach us jaded with the march, and in cold blood, with minds nowise excited by passion, pluck out our hair and beard, and drive their nails, which are always very sharp, deep into parts most tender and sensitive to the slightest impression." The day of the ambushed attack, Aug. 4. Father Jogues, describes in his letter the cruelties perpetrated by the victorious Mohawks, states: "On the eighth day we fell in with a band of two hundred Indians going out to fight (on an island in Lake Champlain); and as it is the custom for savages, when out on war-parties, to initiate themselves, as it were, by cruelty, under the belief that their success will be the greater as they shall have been the more cruel, they thus received us: First rendering thanks to the sun, which they imagine presides over war, they congratulated their countrymen by a joyful volley of musketry. Each then cut some stout clubs in the neighboring wood in order to receive us. After we had landed from the canoes, they fell upon us from both sides with their clubs in such fury, that I, who was the last and therefore the most exposed to their blows, sank overcome by their numbers and severity before I had accomplished half the rocky way that led to the hill on which a stage had been erected for us. I thought I should quickly die there; and therefore, partly because I could not, partly because I cared not, I did not rise. How long they spent their fury upon me He knows for whose love and sake it is delightful and glorious thus to suffer. Moved at last by a cruel mercy, and wishing to carry me to their country alive, they ceased to strike. And thus half dead and covered with blood, they bore me to the scaffold. Here I had scarce begun to breathe, when they ordered me to come down to load me with scoffs and insults, and countless blows upon my head and shoulders, and indeed my whole body. I should be tedious were I to attempt to tell all that the French prisoners suffered. They burnt one of my fingers, and crushed another with their teeth; the others already thus mangled they so wrenched by the tattered nerves that even now, though healed, they are frightfully deformed."

No comments:

Post a Comment